Cozy, you might ask? Yes, indeed, every bite of this blueberry crisp is pure cozy, comfort for me. All summer long I love making berry crisps with whatever fruit I have on hand, mouthfuls of warm delicious fruit with a sweet crisp oat topping.
My favorite go to is a blueberry crisp – blueberries are packed with nutrients so while this is dessert you can feel still really good about eating it. Eat it on its own, pair it with vanilla ice cream, or greek yogurt. When there are leftovers, I love it with vanilla or honey greek yogurt the next morning.
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 lemon – for lemon zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 F. Prepare casserole dish (2 qt baking dish, 9″x9″ or similar) by spraying with coconut spray or pam.
- Grate the rind of the lemon to get 3/4 teaspoon of zest plus squeeze half the lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the blueberries with the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, vanilla and cinnamon. Place in your prepared dish.
- Combine the butter, oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon until crumbled. Sprinkle over blueberries and press down slightly.
- Bake 35 – 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly on the sides. Cool slightly and serve warm by itself, with a vanilla ice cream or greek yogurt.
Carrie Allen created this site as a way for people to share stories about things they love. She loves chasing quiet, authentic moments and sharing them with her family and friends. Read more about her inspiration here.